Documents required to stay (and work) in France

Entry and Residence of EU Nationals

British citizens intending to live in France should have a valid passport (only nationals from Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg and Netherlands can seek employment upon production of their national Identity Card). As for other EU nationals, a work permit or a visa is no longer necessary. However, please note that British Citizens native of the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not regarded as EU citizens.

The « carte de séjour de ressortissant de l’Union européenne » (resident permit) is no longer necessary unless you want to set up a business. However it is greatly advised to check according to your personal situation at the « Préfecture » of your place of residence.

Entry and residence of non EU Nationals

Please visit our website or contact the Visa
section at

Published on 29/11/2012

top of the page