Healthcare measures for Calais migrants come into effect
Improving healthcare for migrants in Calais - Joint press release issued by Mme. Marisol Touraine, Minister of Social Affairs, Health and Women’s Rights, and M. Bernard Cazeneuve, Minister of the Interior
28 October 2015
The first measures to improve healthcare for migrants in Calais, announced on Friday 23 October by Mme Marisol Touraine, Minister of Social Affairs, Health and Women’s Rights, and M. Bernard Cazeneuve, Minister of the Interior, are today operational:
• a doctor, a psychologist and a kinesitherapist, all reservists from the Etablissment de Préparation et de Réponse aux Urgences Sanitaires [Health Emergency Preparedness and Response Agency] (EPRUS), have arrived in Calais, reinforcing the teams from the Centre Jules Ferry, which in the coming days is set to become a real primary healthcare centre;
• a mediating doctor and a logistician, also reservists from EPRUS, are in Calais to coordinate the activities of all those involved;
• vaccines and condoms are being sent to Calais to step up preventive action for the migrants.
In addition to the development of the heathland and the issue of sheltering the migrants present on site, which has already started, the measures aim to address the recommendations of the medical mission sent there – in particular:
• to set up a real care unit for the [migrant] community at the Centre Jules Ferry by increasing its accommodation and healthcare capacities (the Centre will have surgery hours five days out of seven, day beds, a paramedic team on duty seven days a week etc.);
• to carry out preventive action on the ground at the Centre Jules Ferry (vaccination, contraception etc.).
The ministers pledged to implement these recommendations as soon as possible. This commitment testifies to the government’s desire to act without delay alongside the public and voluntary actors working on the ground, to provide migrants in Calais with care tailored to their needs.
The definitive report by the medical mission will be made public on Friday 30 October./.