Pet bird, reptile, amphibian, insect, invertebrate and fish

If you are going to stay in France with your animal which can be a bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, invertebrate or insect or if you are going to transport your animal through France without returning to the UK:

You can only take 3 animals to France (all species included) per owner per family, with only one owner being allowed per family. If you are taking more than 3 animals, you need the authorization ( of the French Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries, Food and rural Affairs (Animal Welfare Office) (See address below).

Please contact :

Bureau de la protection animale

251 rue Vaugirard - 75732 Paris Cedex 15 France

Tel : 00 33 1 49 55 84 70

Fax : 00 33 1 49 55 81 97

You will need to obtain certificates issued by a Local Veterinary Inspector (a private veterinary surgeon who is allowed to issue certificates for the import/export of pets) to travel with your animal:

I. A certificate of Good Health (In both languages) to testify that your pet has no signs of disease, above all any signs of a contagious disease of the species. For example regarding bird diseases : no signs of Avian influenza, Newcastle disease, psittacosis etc. This certificate should be issued between 1 and 5 days before the entry of the animal into France.

You can find a registered veterinary surgeon if you consult the website :

II. The owner of the animal has to declare that: “ He/she is the real owner of the animal that he/she is accompanying and he/she will not sell it on.

”Regarding the journey, please contact the appropriate transport companies to check if your are allowed to travel with your pet.

You have to check if your animal belongs to an endangered species (See specific requirements)

If you want to return to the UK with your pet after your stay in France:

You must contact the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs or the Departement of Agriculture and Rural Development of Northern Ireland for an Import Licence.

You can obtain more information on quarantine procedures from:

Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs

1A Page Street

London, England SW1 4PQ

Tel: +44 (0) 207 904 6222

Fax: +44 (0) 207 904 6834

You can also contact the UK Embassy in France for further information:

Ambassade de Grande-Bretagne

32 bd du Faubourg Saint-Honoré

75 383 Paris Cedex 08

Tel: 00 33 1 44 51 32 56

Fax: 00 33 1 44 51 33 11

Published on 07/11/2012

top of the page