Sign up to the French citizens register

What is the French citizens register ?

If you settle in the United Kingdom for more than 6 months, you are more than welcome to register with the Consulate.

The Consulate will contact you regarding the latest news (French elections, security, events) and contact your next of kin in case of an emergency.

Registering with the Consulate facilitates your administrative formalities, such as :

First registration

The whole process will be carried out using the website.

You can fill in your application form online and scan the necessary supporting documents, for yourself and your children :

  • Identity card or French passport (valid or expired for less than 2 years)
  • Proof of address in the UK (bank statement, utility bill, lease agreement etc.)
  • ID picture

As soon as the application is approved, you will be able to download and print your consular card and certificate of registration available in the file holder at

Modification of your registration

If you are already registered or if you used to be registered at the Consulate, you might need to check and modify your information at any time. Using, you can access:

  • Your personal details
  • Your electoral choice
  • Your security information
  • Your family situation

Each modification will be reported onto your consular card and certificate of registration. You can print those at any time by logging into your account at

Renewal of your registration

Your registration is valid for 5 years. You will receive an email 3 months before the end of registration period as a reminder.

You can also choose to renew your registration at any given time in those 5 years.

Moving back to France

If you move back to France, you need to cancel your registration at the French citizens register. Please do not forget to cancel your registration on the electoral roll.

If you need to prove your residence time abroad, you can download and print your certificate of delisting.

Moving to another country

If you wish to settle in another country, you will be asked to modify your home address online. Your file will be automatically transferred to your new consular service. Once the transfer has been made, you can access your information and your new certificate of registration in your file holder at

Published on 13/07/2016

top of the page