The life certificate (attestation d’existence)

The persons in receipt of a French pension and residing in the United Kingdom have to ask their British local authorities to sign and stamp their life certificate.

In accordance with the circular n° 2001/31 of 3rd May 2001 of the French national pension office (CNAV) and following the instructions of the Social Security Department dated 21st December 2018, the persons concerned must report to the local authorities of their place of residence to fill in a certificate of existence.
The Department of Social Security has thus communicated to all pension offices in France the list of authorities able to issue life certificates abroad. In the consular district of London, this procedure may be carried out with the following authorities:

  • Local council / court
  • Registry office, civic centre
  • Local police station
  • Commissioner for oaths
  • Solicitor / Lawyer/ Barrister
  • Notary public

Each person concerned must attend their local authorities and provide proof of identity. The signature of a life certificate on the basis of a medical certificate established by a hospital or a doctor is not accepted, nor is a sworn statement.

In serious and exceptional cases (persons being bedridden or hospitalized), it will be necessary to contact the consulate to assess how to best proceed.

How to proceed :

Each applicant who received a life certificate from a French pension office shall have the document completed by the competent local authority.
If need be, a life certificate form (Cerfa Plurilingue Form 11798 * 02) can also be downloaded from the internet :

For further information :

For further information on international pensions, please contact the CLEISS (Centre des Liaisons Européennes et Internationales de Sécurité sociale) :

Centre des Liaisons Européennes et Internationales de Sécurité sociale
11 rue de la tour des Dames
75436 Paris cedex 09
Tel : +33 145 263 341

Published on 18/07/2019

top of the page